Hi. I am Brian Compton.
Thank you for stopping by this morning.
I am a highly creative, versatile, and motivated marketing and branding professional with more than 15 years of experience of successful and compelling marketing, fanatical brand management and a fierce drive to win. I am especially skilled, some say 'gifted', at solving complex problems and translating these insights into accessible and effective solutions.
I possess an inimitable combination of analytical, creative and technical abilities: I can see it, think it and do it in a way that you have never seen before.
I am an innovator, big thinker and problem solver most fascinated with making the existing better and creating the "next" thing.
I am a skilled communicator adept at writing, designing and speaking to any audience.
I love marketing, brand creation, brand management, trademark licensing, web design and development, as well as collaboration, coaching and mentoring.
This is Brian
- Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you. Many life events, some not so happy and some wonderful, have needed by complete attention. I'll always look back at 2013 as an amazingly hard and wonderful year. I look forward to more growth and opportunities to share in 2014. I may even publish the update to this website that I've been teasing. 01.08.2014
- Miss me? I've been working hard on a few incredible projects. I'll have more to share about these in the coming months. For November, look for the 73% awesomer iambriancompton.com website on 11.13.13. 10.01.2013
- It's a date! My next lecture on Trademark Licensing will be on November 5, 2013, at the University of Central Florida. 08.22.2013
- Speaking to the Sports Marketing class at UCF on Thursday! Check out the slide deck 06.13.2013
- My friends at Turning 22 received their 501(c)(3) determination from the IRS. The lives intellectually and physically challenged adults in Central Florida are about to get better. 06.05.2013
- Gave an awesome lecture to the Sports Marketing class at UCF this afternoon! Check out the slide deck 03.21.2013
- Starting my first university courses since finishing my MBA in 2004. 01.07.2013
- Triskaidekaphilia - I've got it. Looking forward to 2013! 01.01.2013
- We're observing a Moment of Silence for the Sandy Hook Victims at 9:30 a.m. EST on December 21, 2012. 12.20.2012
- It's my 9-year anniversary at UCF! 12.03.2012
- Re-launched Don't Be THAT Dev as a WordPress site. 11.24.2012
- I do good work for good people.
- I create.
- I improve.
- I destroy (but only if I have to).
- I create and improve processes, I do not process processes.
- Three times is one too many. After two, I automate, delegate or reconfigurate (I know).
- I do not coordinate, facilitate or field anything.
- I give honest opinions to those honestly seeking them.
- My process is Listen -> Synthesize -> Communicate.
- I do not suffer fools gracefully.
- I have all the time in the world for the passionate and brilliant.
- I ‘see’ concepts in pictures.
- If it seems like I am not paying attention to you, a previous genius thought of yours has sparked something creative in my head. I’ll be back soon. Have some coffee.
- I focus deeply.
- I use my superpowers for good.
- I am a researcher. Given a topic, I'll become a subject matter expert.
- I believe that 'why' is very important.
- As a designer and writer, my style is the appropriate style for the project.
- I do NOT do Flash. Never have, never will. Please don't ask.
- I love to learn and give extra points to projects with opportunities to explore something new (with one exception, see above).
I made these. Some were created solely by me, others were created in conjunction with a team. They don't suck. Plus, you can filter by type (ooh!).
Brian W. Compton
Earnest marketing and communications professional with more than 15 years of experience managing marketing, advertising, public relations, social media, brand identity, trademark licensing and information technology in not-for-profit, service and manufacturing environments.
- Brand fanatic with experience developing, managing and protecting brands.
- Excellent communicator via any medium; first-class copywriter and editor.
- Equally comfortable communicating with consumers, engineers, CEOs or artists.
- Accustomed to managing several diverse projects at any given time.
- One of the first staff members of this start-up non-profit organization. I am responsible for creating and managing the marketing and technology departments and activities.
- Designed Turning 22 Brand Identity including logo, color pallete and usage guidelines.
- Specifying and implementing operational IT programs and assets.
- Founder and principal of start-up provider of quality web development, marketing, brand auditing, brand image development, brand management and communication services to small businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Zealous protector of the integrity of the UCF brand.
- Review all retail uses of 30+ trademarks for 2nd largest university in the U.S., growing annual licensing revenue from $93,000 in 2004 to $489,000, an average increase of more 20% per year for the last eight years.
- Provide exceptional customer service as point-of-contact for consumers, retailers and 275 licensees.
- Manage, monitor and enforce trademark activities, working closely with in-house and external counsel to determine most effective course of action.
- University subject matter expert with respect to trademark licensing with thorough knowledge of intellectual property laws.
- Manage external licensing agency, the Collegiate Licensing Company.
- Led team that developed and launched new university athletic brand identity in only eight months.
- Developed trademark licensing curriculum for a university sports marketing course, guest lecturing in university marketing courses as a form of education, networking and outreach for the university licensing program.
- Grow and protect the university brands while remaining sensitive to the political and public relations concerns of a public institution.
- As part of a talented team, negotiate, develop and manage university contracts generating in excess of $3 million per year.
- Evaluated five to ten business proposals per month, identified promising opportunities, initiated first meetings and managed implementation as assigned.
- Targeted retailer GameStop as a hot opportunity for campus, made initial contact, wrote and designed sales sheets and negotiated contract. As a result, GameStop opened their first store on a college campus at UCF in March 2011 with sales nearly doubling their projections.
- Developed proposals for services, sponsorships and naming rights.
- Mentored professional and student staff of up to eight.
- Generated excitement for, and understanding of, services offered by 12 operations.
- Developed and executed strategic marketing plans that supported and achieved the goals of the department and university.
- Mentored, managed and guide staff of six marketing professionals and students.
- Communicated with targeted segments in the manner and place that they prefer.
- Designed and created innovative print, video and web-based marketing collateral.
- Final quality control gate for any mass or critical communication from department ensuring that they are error free, appropriately targeted and clear.
- Researched the habits, wants and needs of the targeted segments and incorporated this data into our operations as the “Voice of the Customer”
- Conducted marketing research, advertising, public relations, brand management, social media and strategic planning.
- Oversaw department of four information technology staff and contractors ensuring that equipment and infrastructure provided a pleasant and productive environment.
- Taught trademark licensing in university marketing courses for last three years.
- Received the inaugural Keeper of the Creed Award for Excellence from Student Development and Enrollment Services, along with the then-Vice President of the Student Government Association.